Indian Bollywood actor Salman Khan (2R) celebrates and wishes his fans Ramzan Eid Mubarak at his residence in Mumbai on July 18, 2015.  AFP PHOTO        (Photo credit should read STR/AFP/Getty Images)

Salman respond to National Commission for Women on Rape remark

Salman Khan has responded to the NCW’s (National Commission for Women) notice to the actor on his ‘raped woman’ comment, which is a full-blown controversy now. NCW chairperson Lalitha Kumaramangalam said that the commission has received Salman’s reply to their notice and that their legal team is yet to read the response.

A copy of Salman’s response to the NCW, accessed by India Today, reads that the actor didn’t trivialise rape and that he has the greatest respect for women. However, nowhere in the three-page reply is there any apology from the actor.

The NCW had written a letter to Salman after he said in an interview that his gruelling workout for the film Sultan left him feeling like a ‘raped woman’.

Two days ago, Kumaramangalam told the media, “We had written a letter to him last week asking why he made such a remark but he has not replied so far. We have taken his remarks very seriously and will issue summons to him immediately as he has failed to reply to the letter in which we had asked him to apologise within seven days.”

Sources today have pointed out that in his response to the NCW notice, Salman Khan hasn’t apologised for his remark.

It all began when Salman Khan was quoted by a website as saying that the shooting for his upcoming film, Ali Abbas Zafar’s Sultan, left him feeling like a ‘raped woman’.

“While shooting, during those six hours, there’d be so much of lifting and thrusting on the ground involved. That was tough for me because if I was lifting, I’d have to lift the same 120-kilo guy 10 times for 10 different angles. And likewise, get thrown that many times on the ground. This act is not repeated that many times in the real fights in the ring. When I used to walk out of the ring, after the shoot, I used to feel like a raped woman. I couldn’t walk straight,” Salman told Spotboye.com.

While Salman’s father Salim Khan apologised on behalf of the actor right after social media erupted, and brother Arbaaz Khan pointed out that Salman’s intentions weren’t wrong, an apology from Salman is still awaited.

At the recently-held International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) awards, Salman broke his silence on the matter. The inauguration of the three-day film extravaganza saw Khan joking about saying anything at all.

“I will not take much time, because nowadays the less I speak the better it is,” Salman said, adding that it was better he kept mum because whatever he said got misinterpreted.

Over the last week-and-a-half, Salman’s colleagues from the Hindi film industry have taken turns to speak about the issue. While some, like filmmaker Anurag Kashyap and actor Kangana Ranaut had strong words for Khan; others, like Priyanka Chopra, chose to say how we needed to focus on the real condition of women in the country instead of ‘adding to the noise’ around the controversy.